View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #9
MeredithMan

Having done what you are proposing to do on 3 different houses in 3 different states that we've lived in, this would be my recommendation:

1) First, find a fireplace store that you like. I would highly recommend Fire 'N Stone in Belmont. Angelo the owner is extremely knowledgeable. He converted my wood-burning fireplace to a gas fireplace and we couldn't be happier. I've also heard good things about Fireside Living in Laconia.

2) Regardless of who you go with, they will ask you to measure the inside of the firebox of the fireplace. This will determine which gas log set and size is appropriate. Once you choose the gas log set, the Fireplace store guy can give you a sense as to how much propane it will burn per hour. From that, you can guesstimate what size tank you need. (Example: unit burns 1 gal/hr; I'll use it 2 hrs/day, 3 days per week, etc)

3) I would pick one propane company and have them drop the tank(s) and run the line into the firebox on the fireplace. They will pull the necessary permits and have your town do the inspection once it's done. Since you'll be using a relatively small amount of propane per year for just the fireplace, I don't think it's a big deal that it would be a rented tank. Additionally, you'll have "one-stop-shopping" with getting the tank, getting the line installed, getting it inspected by the town. I would recommend Rymes. Have been a customer of theirs for years and they did exactly this for me when we converted our fireplace.

4) Lastly, as someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be relying on a gas fireplace as a true heat source. They will take the chill off a chilly room and add ambience, but that's about it.

Good luck with your project.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote