View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Sometimes I want to access my router, change webcam settings, etc. this is not essential just nice to have.
You don't really need a computer running at your cottage.

Depending on your router you can usually enable remote administration and access the router directly from the internet. All routers I've encountered have that feature but it is usually disabled by default.

Once you've logged in to your router just setup port forwarding to your webcam and other devices you want to access remotely. Let's say your outside IP is 123.456.7.890. You can tell your router to send any traffic for 123.456.7.890:6767 (6767 is the port number you assign) to 192.168.1.111 (for example) on your local network. If that is setup you can reach the login screen for your webcam through a simple link on your remote computer.

I manage the WeirsCAM, Anchor Marine CAM and Flightcraft CAM through port forwarding on their routers. I have bookmarks to all 3 cams and routers so I can access their login pages remotely with one click on a remote computer.

If you do setup port forwarding or remote admin on your router make sure your login pages have complex passwords in case someone on the internet stumbles into your login page.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post: