View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #47
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

As for keeping a proper watch, I've found that at top speed—even in a sailboat—you've got your hands full just "staying on the edge". In an ocean-racer—especially one that's chine-walking—your peripheral vision diminishes to a dot dead-ahead.
Sorry ApS but I can't resist you have left the door wide open here, and I will walk through.....

From the sounds of this paragraph, and what it implies, I think we should be ending sailing regatta's on the lake, and also require that sail boats no long "stay on edge" when recreational sailing. If it take full mental capacity to operate a sail boat at top speed, leaving very little capacity to keep a proper lookout... then sailing at top speed should not be allowed if the lake is to remain safe.....

Also, how fast have you ever been on a boat... I have never had an issue with my peripheral version diminishing in a boat or in a car, and have operated boats to the 70-80 Mph range and cars in excess of 100mph. If anything a I am more alert and aware of what is going on around me at high speed....

Don't provide false information that isn't based in fact... While speed can cause tunnel vision there are usually other factors.... If a boat at greater the 45mph cause tunnel visions then why do we allow highway speeds of 65 and 70 MPH....