View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 04:17 PM   #11
MeredithMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Looking for peoples thoughts on best town to live at the Big Lake.
Contemplating moving from current location partly because of taxes.

I'm retired and see most of my income going to pay real estate taxes, so this is a serious factor. I currently have property in Gilford, but no sure I can remain there ?

Looking at towns that have the best ‘bang for the buck’ !
Taxes, Shopping, Restaurants, Medical, Social activities, etc

I have listed the towns I am giving serious thought, not necessarily in any order: Meredith, Alton, Wolfeboro, Sanbornton, Belmont, Gilmanton, Tilton.
Not interested in towns of Moultonborough Tuftonboro, Laconia, Ctr Harbor.

Thanks in advance, for your feedback
I would suggest that while the tax bill is an important consideration, the choice of where to live really centers around "Quality of Life" and does the town have the amenities and services that you want and / or need. When we moved to NH full-time a number of years ago, we ultimately decided on Bedford to be our primary residence. The taxes are not trivial in this town and we do not have kids in the schools. However, it checked off all of our boxes...great doctors and dentists; multiple grocery stores/shopping/restaurants, (i.e. "civilization"); very close to Manchester airport and reasonably close to Logan, (we both travel for work); An easy ride to the lake; and lastly, while the real estate market can be unpredictable, it "should" be a decent resale when it is time to retire since the town is a desirable location.

Regarding the lake towns on your list, we've been in Meredith for 12 years and love it. The Main Street village is very quaint and is doing well, with its shops and restaurants. "Box Store" shopping is a short drive to Gilford or Tilton. Over the years, we have looked very seriously at a few places for sale in Moultonboro that would give us more house for half the tax bill, but ultimately decided not to pursue them, as going to the grocery store and back would be an hour+ excursion. So again, I would recommend don't move for the tax bill; move for the better quality of life, (if there is one).

Good luck in your decision.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote