View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
DougNH

Default What do they check for when pulled over by the MP

Long story short I was stopped by the MP this past Sunday about 11:00 am. It was at the no wake zone area across from the post office on Bear Island (I was heading northerly). The officer indicated I was going faster than headway within 150’ of another vessel. I may have been slightly faster but in doing so to keep control of my boat as I was in some large wakes due to some large boats approaching from the other direction. From the MP website ‘Headway speed is 6 mph or the slowest speed to travel and still maintain steerage.’ I was lucky to be going any faster than that and if I was maybe slightly over. My speedo does not register under 10 mph and it was sitting on zero, we have a 24’ boat, I was not putting out a wake.

Once stopped, they asked for my boat license, photo id and boat registration. While the first officer (younger) took my papers the other officer (older) did the safety inspection. I had six people on board including myself, two of which were young kids with life jackets on. Once the inspection was complete they said they were going to push off for a moment which lasted about 3-4 minutes and they were 20 feet or so away. They then came back handed back my papers, gave me a verbal warning for the headway speed, and also two plastic badges for the kids (nice touch).

So my question. When they requested a photo id I turned over my MA driver’s license. When they pushed off what were they checking? I see my boat license has a Certificate Number so did they look that up or maybe my name or possibly my MA driver’s license? The reason I ask as it seemed the younger officer was busy doing something while the other officer was piloting the boat and doing the safety inspection.

First time to be stopped in my 15 years on the lake, not a bad experience but not sure why they felt the need. There were many other boats around doing the same as it was reasonable busy with wakes all around. In fact when they first approached they indicated they were going to keep away until some large wakes passed then they pulled next to my boat.
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote