Thread: What An Idiot!
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #91
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I completely agree that by laserp's own description of slowing and turning, and then seeing the Formula that he did not maintain a proper watch. But you do assume the distance between the two was 150' or so, otherwise you assume there would have been a collision. You yourself state it's debatable. I guess the issue that I'm having with your point is that you seem to absolve the Formula of any wrongdoing. If I am incorrect I apologize.
Just explaining my math....

I am basing my assumption that the distance was approximately 150' or greater based on Lasers story...

1. That the Formula was 30 feet long. (That's the length Laser gave) So 150' is approximately 5 boat lengths. A 30' Formula depending on model weighs in somewhere between 9000 & 10000+ lbs.

2. The closing speeds.... Distance/Time. According to Laser the Formula was traveling at 30 MPH or 44 FPS (3.4 seconds to cover 150')
Initially Laser was traveling at 23 MPH or 33.7 FPS so we had a closure rate of only 7 MPH or 10.2 FPS.... no big deal.

BUT.... Laser slowed down and came off plane and turned to starboard crossing into the path of the Formula that he did not see. So now the closure rate jumps to whatever speed the Formula (that had already committed to overtaking Laser) was traveling. Per Laser's story 30 MPH or 44 FPS. This gives the Formula (an approximately 10,000lb boat) 3.4 seconds to avoid a collision. Most people have a reaction time of .3 seconds. At night I am sure its probably a little more especially when the Formula would not know of a course change by Laser until he saw his green bow light (Laser would have turned close to 22.5 degrees before the light would be shown). But using the easy math... the Formula had approximately 3.1 seconds to decide on a course of action, slow, change course to port and pass 20' to the rear of Laser's boat even as Laser tightened his turn to starboard into the path of the Formula.

3.1 seconds to miss by 20 feet.... In a 30' approximately 10,000lb boat. If there was less than 150' there probably would have been a collision.

Obviously we can debate hundreds of variables, but on the surface I stand by my calcs!

Woodsy