Thread: Lake Markers
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #42
jonfinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
jonfinn & Rose, At the risk of duplicating any other responses here I might add that a good way to discern the difference between the black tops and red tops is that the red top sports and additional stripe just below the red top. This will aid you in the inevitable event that you are color blinded by reflected sunlight or during a venture out at night when the reflective tape on the markers pale when scanned with a spotlight or anchor lights (used intermittently of course).

We learned about these important features and hints at the NH Boating Safety class along with many other important rules of navigation (right of way, safe passage, etc.) from a seasoned instructor. We were also taught the red-hot-south-west and black-cold-north-east in that classroom session and it is good to see other perspectives in this forum. These are known as the Cardinal marking system and are only used by a very few states ( I think). It works for us here with all those pieces of the Granite State lurking about just below the surface.

Jofinn, you say you took some courses but I might suggest that if you do most of your boating here in NH that you should seriously consider a NH state classroom course. You just can't get this type of info on the internet in the depth and understanding that you get in a classroom. Additionally you get the facts on NH laws not some hearsay from other folks. I hear the prices for the classes may increase soon though. Still a bargain for safety on the water.

And I think it was mentioned, don't think the other guy barreling through is always right. I've seen some with shallow draft-on-plane (read jet ski's) cut the markers just to confuse those pondering their course. Those folks know their waters.

BTW it is not illegal to travel on the "wrong" side of the marker as anglers, and paddlers do it all the time for their purposes. However if you do, hope you have deep pockets for your marine mechanic just in case.

Nothing beats a compass of any kind on board and a chart is golden.
I've seen the red stripe, but never knew it's purpose. In the future, that'll help! Thanks!

I have taken some courses here in Boston area, and I will definitely take courses in NH too when time permits. I'm hoping someday to retire in the lakes region actually.

Lastly, it's very doubtful I'm gonna blindly follow someone without knowing the area, or following the chart and markers. The one time I was careless, I was renting a boat from Thurston's. I took a big chunk out of the skeg and it cost me around $600. Lesson learned. I was lucky actually.

See you on (hopefully) the right side of the markers! I'll be the guy in the little bowrider with the big grin!
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote