View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #71
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Lies in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treerider View Post
Airwaves was shocked that Winni was threatened with arrest....keep in mind that the Police, unlike you can say ANYTHING they want to get you to do what they want! They can and will lie, threaten with arrest etc. you best know your rights and act accordingly. Do a google search for ""Don't Talk to the Police" by Professor James Duane" and watch the entire video.....an eye opening video for sure

I recently did a stint as a juror on 4 week long cases. What was an eye opener to me was that it is perfectly legal, acceptable and expected for the police to lie to us. These lies can occur at any time during their interaction including when they are doing video taped interviews back at the station. The MP can tell you he clocked you at 45 even if it is not true simply to gauge your reaction or gain a guilty plea.

One piece of advice the Juror experience taught me was that even if you are innocent, and go to the station for a taped interview, go through the video introduction pleasantries and signatures. Then deny the accusation strongly. Then ask for your lawyer. Can't tell you how many jurors have a real problem with the accused not declaring innocence. And for the mess that is created when the accused tries to sift through the fishing expedition the police are trained to take. While I totally respect the police and the job they do, I don't think that being good liars is a good way to find the truth.

The physics of the night time closing distance gauging cause me a lot of problem. A human's ability to judge distance is a combination of the angle the eyes have to adjust to triangulate the distance, the size of the object based on our life experiences,(how many of us are fooled by the mini mount until we see it go on the near side of the island). The angle can also help. If you are 10 feet above the water, you can gauge distance based on angle from the horizon.

When you are following a boat in the dark, you can see the stern light. You can't see the size of the light. You can see it's brightness. A bright one might seem closer than a dim one. You can't see the boat to gauge it's size. Your eyes are at about the same elevation as the stern light so at a distance you can't use the horizon angle as a visual clue.

My guess is that many of us would have a hard time telling if a stern light is moving towards us or away from us while we were traveling in a moving boat. If humans were good at telling distance, we would not need the side lights. We could tell which direction boats were traveling with a single or multiple white lights. We can tell during the day because we can see the direction the boat is traveling and the wake behind it. I am very suspicious of the measurement accuracy of a well intentioned MP doing a moving estimation of a light bulb at a distance of a 1/2 mile.

Now if the boat did not cross over the MP and the mp also has to make up the angle vector to get behind the boater, it would impact the trigonometry even more.

Show us the statistical results of some independent testing of several MPs at night under various scenarios. If you can show that 90% of the time, the MPs can judge a speed in the dark to +/- 15 mph then being stopped for going 45 at night might have some validity. But it also means their is a 10 percent chance you were going less than 30. (Just on plane for some boats)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote