View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 02:57 AM   #14
ApS

Thumbs down Expensive Nuisance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I'd be surprised if they couldn't figure out a way to tap that back into place with it still captured by the ice. Nice thing is you won't have to hold it straight, looks pretty good from here
• Those are called "tie-off" pilings. I have four installed in 1982. Since then, one has been replaced several times; meanwhile, the ice has pushed-over two others—making them useless. One original piling, 11" in diameter, has been creeping upwards after breaking off at the waterline several years ago. It's expected to be resting on the bottom (with three others) next Spring—and won't be replaced.

• Neighbors have experienced the same losses of tie-off pilings.

• An installer told me that once the bottom was disturbed, don't expect replacement pilings to stay in place. He also advised that the ice doesn't break them off, so pilings can be driven as deeply as desired. So far, his advice has been "on-target".

• In Spring, three years ago, one neighbor's "ice-cluster" (three secured together) drifted into my dock. He'd installed three ice-clusters in an area of many piling replacements. That Spring, two failed ice-clusters had been pulled up on his shoreline. When I advised him of my "find", he emailed, and wrote it wasn't his.