View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #113
Mink Islander

Default Sheps/Cattle Landing access

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIguy View Post
Has anyone been on the ice in the area of Shep Brown's or Cattle Landing? Where is the best place to get on the ice? What are the ice conditions like? I'd like to hike out to Bear Island this week.
I haven't been out et this winter -- a bit laid up due to rotator cuff surgery but..... The usual place to get on the ice at Sheps is around to the left all the way past the showroom building over to where the large barge is parked in the warmer months. That ramp is open in the winter. Sheps runs ice eaters on the docks there and the neighbor to the left does as well but typically there remains a wide safe area to get on the ice.

If you go to Cattle Landing, unless the town of Meredith has changed it's aggressive use of an ice eater around the floating dock, it can be very difficult to safely get on the ice there. Seriously, save a little electricity and drastically shorten the run times. You'll protect the dock just the same without creating a giant pond around what used to be a fabulous access point for that part of the lake. I will usually park in the public parking area and head up the road (west) to the first lakeside driveway. There's a slight embankment there, but that area is free of docks/ice eaters and a popular access point.

Based on the other ice reports, I would expect 10+" of ice in that area. I'd still be quite cautious if you are passing through Cattle Landing (heading east towards Mark Island) and check the ice as you go there until well past Dolly Island.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote