View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
ApS

Wink I Ain't Building Nothin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I have been considering ways to get some more space. Small lot with great location but limited in what I can do due to setbacks and maxed out impervious surface. I am considering going up and adding a second floor of 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Maybe 1000 sq ft to a 1600 sq ft footprint. I believe the foundation will support this without too much added work. Does anyone have experience with this? Any rough estimates as to what it would cost assuming nice simple cabin like finishes.
A neighbor here had a second floor added to a 1950s cottage—framed it in with 2x6s—while the first floor remained 2x4.

It was built atop a concrete block "foundation" that had a distinct lean towards the lake. The lean was "corrected" with a concrete slurry on the outside.

The house looks nice—they lost* (and gained) one bedroom—and there's been no complaints offered.
(*Lost to a stairway).

Another neighbor added a 2nd-floor bedroom which took almost a year to complete. Workers groused, "It would have been faster and cheaper to start over from scratch".

Completed, the owner agreed with that assessment.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote