Thread: Alton Fort
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
rgilfert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit'n Image Farm View Post
Here is what I have on the "Alton Fort". It was Fort Thunderbird. It was a boys camp located in the Black Point to the Camp Kabeyun property, Chestnut Cove area and included most of the shorefront. Bought in 1952 by Haven Langdon. The boys camp had a frontier theme, the Juniors slept in covered wagons scattered at varios campsites and the Seniors had teepees on platforms. It was short lived, opened in 1953 and closed in 1954. Hope this helps.
The cottage that I used to rent every summer (for 12 years) for my family was located on Black Point directly across the bay from the Littlemark Island light. The family that owned our rental property (Sean & Betsy Callahan) lived in the home next to us and Betsy's family had owned a good chunk of the shore for many years (including a very large old home slightly inland and high up over the lake). The owner's shore front has a very distinctive blue log cabin style boathouse with a sign over the entrance that reads "Fort Thunderbird". We always wondered what the significance was to this sign. Given the info about the boys camp, the "Fort Thunderbird" boathouse must have been part of the boys' camp back in the day and in thinking about it....the large home that I referred may very well be the "old fort" that you are inquiring about. In all the years that we stayed there....we never ventured up the hill to the main house because it had a locked gate (near the tennis court) and I didn't want to get caught spying.
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post: