View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #9
Andromeda321

Franken Sundae where Town Docks is today with its make your own sundae bar. We went once a year and I loved that place so much I literally wrote my "how I spent my summer vacation" essay about it more than once.

We were on Blackeys Cove from when I was about 10, about a mile from Center Harbor, so it was a huge summer thing that I could bike into town! (Grew up in a nice corner of suburbia where you couldn't go anywhere sans car, so this was a special bit of freedom.) I would bike every morning to Robinson's General Store to buy a newspaper for my parents and a muffin for myself for breakfast. Reading the headlines about the Monica Lewinsky trial remain in my mind so I guess that tells people how old I am. Bayswatter Books also had a weekly "book club" Wednesday mornings in summer for kids, so we'd head over for that. No Internet at the lake, but you could reserve an hour of Internet on the days the Center Harbor library was open, so that was a lot of high school.

There was an awful noisy boat one year on Blackeys where the guy basically gutted the muffler and was noisy to annoy everyone, but was smart enough to only joyride a few minutes so he'd be off the lake by the time the Marine Patrol showed up. The day they finally caught him you could hear everyone cheering all around the cove. Solidarity!
Andromeda321 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andromeda321 For This Useful Post: