View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #22
ApS

Question Maybe a Video-Travelogue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Congratulations!! You are living my retirement dream. Sounds amazing. I second the Exuma suggestion (although it should also include the Abacos). Although we’ve been all over the Caribbean proper, this past thanksgiving was our first trip to the out islands of the Bahamas. We joke that it’s the lakes region of the Caribbean. Lots of great little islands and areas that are easy to explore by boat. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me given how many year round lakes region residents own places in the Bahamas. Safe travels to you and your wife!! Post a pic or two to the forum so that we can live vicariously through you!
Maybe a continuing video adventure with underwater and drone videos, of underwater caverns, aggressive swimming pigs , and adventures with solar-power, with Uma or Velos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUsIoP2Px0U

One of my Brewster Academy alumnus sailed a 30-foot cat-rigged sailboat from Maine and landed on Eleuthera Island, Bahamas. Of the 300+ Bahamas' "Out-islands", he stopped at the one island I'd stopped at! He's still there, managing his own banana plantation but returning to Wolfeboro briefly every Spring.

To me, a big concern is medical care: nearly everything that can happen to a human involves transport to Miami. My friend with the plantation advises, "We're on top of it", having just received the island's first X-ray machine!

I'm still envious of that move, especially as Bahamians are the most-relaxed and nicest of people!

My present Florida neighbor had thought to make their retirement in The Bahamas, but fell over the transom on their 52-foot cruiser, landed on the swim platform—breaking his back! I haven't inquired, but I gather their second retirement home in Naples, FL, was for extended medical care. (Implanted an electronic device internal to his spinal column, which completely fixed the injury!)

They've since moved again, to their third retirement home—next door to me. (And just in time to share the eye of Hurricane Irma!)

My two (only-other) Florida neighbors are from New Hampshire! (Meredith and Hampton). One just explore-boated Exuma Island this winter, and had volumes to say of their great adventure. I've forgotten why he's not going back: something to do with boat- or housing- rentals? He soon will be exploring other "Out-Islands"—Cat- and Abacos- (?) instead.

'Just checked, and they're going to Hopetown, Abacos Island.

Last edited by ApS; 04-28-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: they're going to Hopetown, Abacos Island
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote