View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 07:29 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Nest lover

dpg, our house started as a 40 X 8 trailer with a 22 X 8 porch. Expanded over the years and is now a 1 3/4 story 10 room house.

Around 1985, one of the expansions was an addition off the back of the structure that included a utility room with washer & dryer, hot water heater, and oil fired hot air furnace. When installed, it had a Honeywell thermostat (yep, one of those tan colored round ones).

A friend bought us a Nest Learning Thermostat. I read the instructions a couple of times and decided to install it. Old thermostat was a 2 wire type. I followed the instructions (real easy!) and it took less than a half hour. Works like a dream.

I left the house this morning at 630 am, and set the thermostat to stay at 60. On my way home, 30 minutes out, kicked the thermostat up to 67 and was nice when I walked in the door. When we were away a few weeks ago, we set the temp for away, eco setting, at 50°. We checked the temps daily and it worked flawlessly.

Just because your furnace is 40 yrs old doesn't mean it won't work. Download the manual and see it you can meet the requirements. Check it out. Good luck. We love ours.

Dave