View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #135
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Seriously? You're upset because you had 125' feet between boats instead of 150'?

I do my absolute best to obey the 150' law, but damn if that isn't one of the most idiotic boating laws I've ever heard of. I keep seeing people getting so bent out of shape if someone comes within 80' of their boat. This is a relatively small lake, there are many places where no more than 2 boats can reasonably pass each other while also maintain adequate distance from shore, each other, other water hazards, etc.

Part of my big problem with the 150' law, is that it seems 1/2 of the people on the lake aren't aware of it, and 1/2 of the remaining bunch can't judge 150' with any degree of accuracy. I would much rather be alert and expect that a boat may come closer than 150' to me then expect people will obey this law.

If someone cuts across your bow or stern with only a dozen feet to spare, they are certainly reckless. If someone passes you 80 feet to the side because the area is congested, or simply because that is the most direct or logical path, you are not in imminent danger of death.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but that is just one that just seems like a waste of legislation.
I think it needs to be pointed out that 3 boats within 250' evenly spaced leaves about 83' between each boat. About half the required 150'.
I do agree that 150' is excessive, as long as each captain is fully aware of the other and their intentions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
What would happen if every boater ignored the rules that annoyed them?
Right, because every boat within 150' is going to have a head on crash. I mean seriously, that has happened so many times on Lake Winni, I can't begin to count them all.