View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #31
CanisLupusArctos

Default 8 inches in Center Harbor... I think

A 1.5 on the Yuki Scale! Impressive! You know, I just thought of a possible "spring weather mascot" job for Leo. He's got long hair, right? And spring brings electrical storms - early warning of static in the air helps to save the lives of golfers and boaters. On second thought, this could ruin your marriage. Never mind!

8.0 inches was the best total I could come up with for the island. As R2B mentioned, it compacted a LOT since last night, and being unwilling to stay awake and measure at 2 a.m. when it changed over, I had to guess how much it had been. For the most part I was measureing around 6 inches new snow this morning, 9 to 10 on the ground total, 3 of which was old. At midnight I had measured 5.5 inches of the fluffy stuff and it came down at 1-2 inches per hour until the changeover, so I'm guessing we had 8 inches.

This storm brought the most significant ice we've had in a while... 1/4 inch of freezing rain this morning. The wind cups are frozen, hence my 0 mph readings at the moment. A NW wind of 10-20 mph is making the trees creak in their icy coatings.

Last night we had a wind gust to 50 mph just after 3 a.m. After that, the storm calmed down a lot.... which ironically is when we had our power outage (as it was all calming down) between 5 and 7 a.m.

R2B is right, this is great snow - very well behaved - the driveway I half-heartedly shoveled this morning is now almost bare thanks to the limited sunshine we had today. It wasn't much, but we've got the equivalent of a September sun now, so it doesn't take much.

Now if the same sun-power would shine a little harder on my wind sensors....

MDC
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote