View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #48
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Formula owner since 1988. I learned a lot about porpoising and other alimonies. First off, I use the trim tabs to level the boat port and starboard. Contrary to popular belief, the Trimming the right tab button only works on the left tab and vice versa. Thus I use the right button to raise or lower the port side and the left button to affect the starboard side.

It is the outdrive trim that I use to prevent porpoising. I start out with the trim in to get up on plane. Once at speed, I would trim out until either the engine speed increases or the boat speed decreases.

Only then do I adjust the 'attitude' of the boat, it varies depending on water conditions, weight distribution, as well as weight. If it is porpoising I touch the trim level down and porpoising stops. It's not rocket science but getting 'the feel' takes experience.
Mostly the same as I have found, except that mine has the Mercruiser Activetrim option and that took some additional time to figure out how to use that as opposed to the manual process you describe.

What I found works best for me and how we load and use our boat, is to dial in a fair amount of trim tab, maybe 4 - 5 bars on the indicator (both sides) and then I let the Autotrim take control of trim angle and I give it full authority.

After plenty of time trying to run it without trim tabs deployed and with limits on the Autotrim, I found this is my best configuration.

This a different hull and different balance than any boat I have ever owned or driven, its super sensitive to trim angle at higher speeds and also sensitive to how you load the boat. Thankfully it has all the tools to dial it in for your usage and it all works!

Once we figured it all out, we rarely have a problem now and can cruise comfortably at 3000 RPM or if the boat is lightly loaded it will break 50 MPH if you so desire.

Still a very happy boater after several years so what more do I need to say.

We LOVE our Formula ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: