View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #70
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Well I never lived on Winnipesaukee but I did stay there every summer as a kid in the 1960s and spent a lot of time there all through the 1970s to today and there are some additional points I feel need to be mentioned.

First and foremost the volume of traffic is incomparable to the past, I could have never imagined all the boats you see today. Some days in the summer in the 1960s I would wait long periods without seeing anyone and was thrilled to have a boat pass by the docks on Echo Point.

The boats have also gotten bigger, MUCH bigger, and MUCH more destructive. The Wake/Surf boats are truly an abomination when used anywhere other than the Broads. I would not be a happy home owner to have them circling in front of my home blasting concert level music any time of the day.

Then I also feel obliged to say there is a difference in the quality of people at the lake these days. Way too many "entitled" Jersey Shore types, arrogant, mouthy, vulgar, pushy, the world is theres get out of there way attitudes everywhere. In the 1960s and 70s you had much more modesty, respectful, friendly, low impact fellow visitors.

Now I feel 100% certain that the dug in old folks who were also here in the 1960's probably felt similar about the people who were summer guests and brought there above the waterline ski boats and "FM" radios and Bbq grills and kids!

But the difference between the impact of summer traffic in the 1960s feels microscopic compared to the what we see today. Some days its like a bad reality TV show. So much so I have flat out refused to come to the lake on any Saturday in the summer for the last many years.

So while I totally agree that Winnipesaukee was ALWAYS a place were there was active speed boats, water sports, summer visitors, etc, the differences is it used to be X on a scale of 1 - 10, now its not even at 11, its completely off the scale. When you boat up to Wolfeboro or Alton on a weekday and have to wait 20 minutes to get on a dock on a Wednesday, and you are fighting 30' plus boats and giant pontoon boats and Wake boats with giant towers you cant see whats behind them, that a lot of different traffic than you saw as a kid here in the 1960's!

Still love it and come as often as I can, but I have much less desire to buy a Winnipesaukee home now than even 25 years ago,,,

Maybe mine are different colored lenses than others, we each have our own perspective and opinion and thats mine.

ATB
Not really. By the 60s, we had already had a rush of non-natives buying into NH at a very flush rate.

The Greatest Generation would have noticed the Boomers becoming ''woke'', and the change in social, economic, and political factors that they brought about... but overall non-natives are not more likely to have ill character than natives.

The Greatest Generations was more ''conform to the norm'' than the Boomers ''Live Free or Die''.

And I think it is a bit too soon to determine whether the Millennials will continue the course of the Boomers or return to the more conservative past of the Greatest.
John Mercier is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post: