View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Disagree with this. When the wood is treated it certainly is very wet with preservative hence why it very heavy. But it doesnt stay that way, it dries out like any other wood. When demoing mine the weight of the wood is not much different than untreated. The preservative doesnt keep it from drying. This is why you are instructed to not stain it for maybe 6 months. While it does dry out the preservative stays in though. I have done both with my decks and just replaced mine 3 years ago. I wont stain this one at all because it seems to only last one season. I'll live with the grey color but you certainly can stain pt and has nothing to do with having "already absorbed as much as it can".
Agree that the PT wood will dry out in 6 to 12 months. After that some sort of sealer is in order, clear or a stain. Without a sealer the wood will absorb rain water and then with the winter freeze small cracks will form. As the years go by the cracks will enlarge. A sealer will prevent this. As a test, pour some water on the wood. If it beads up, no problem. If it soaks in, time for a sealer be it clear or a stain.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote