View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default definitely low on all counts

Lot clearing is about right if there are no drainage issues, level lot.

Septic depends on # of bathrooms, BR etc. There are codes to meet.

Foundation price is for a slab?, Possibly crawlspace?, Full cellar will cost a bit more.

Drilled well is site dependents. I think Gilford Well mentioned the average well is 250'. I've seen 100' wells and 500' wells.

Rarely have I seen new home construction break even. If you take a look at new developments, homes are built half decent and lot needs more work.

I think you will be surprised modular built is a much better value for the dollar than stick built. You will be lucky if a builder will guarantee their work for a year as required by law. Builders know most folks give up in court. There is another thread on that. Modular home builders have to rely on their reputation to survive. Builders, well they move on.

I purchased a modular home back in 1980. Berkshire Builders has a 10 year warrantee and they honored it! 7 years after it was built the sill rotted out under the sun deck. They replace the sill and rebuild the deck at no cost!

Once you got a plan. Get quotes from local contractors and make sure you have a statement of work. You will be amazed the number of contractors that won't give you a detailed SOW.

Take a look at the contractor list on the Lakes Region Builders site. Most if not all are fairly reliable.

Good luck!