View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
ApS

Cool An Easy and Practical Solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
"...I'm actually fairly lucky because they can both "hold it" for quite a while...but I also don't wanna be walking through some public land in the woods and step on any landmines..."
I noticed that both of my dogs could "hold it" a long time too, while aboard: That view is supported by what I've been reading in sailing magazines.

A solution to the "land-mine problem" may lie in wooded areas with deep beds of pine needles. On my lot, it is an easy matter to just pull up a large tuft of fallen pine needles, plop that on top of the plop—then flatten it. (I had 15-pound dogs—your selection of "tuft size" may vary ).

The problem is now out of sight, out of range of insects, no longer a land mine, and allows Nature to take her natural course. (Like a century ago, when wolves might have passed by these pristine shores of yore).

Just last night, on Coast-2-Coast radio, I heard that you can determine what your dog needs by staring into his eyes.
Quote:
"Watch carefully how your dog responds and he might suggest certain needs by some subtle gesture or glance."
I can't vouch for this practice as a possible solution, as my dogs would always glance towards the kitchen pantry.