View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 04:13 AM   #40
jeffk

It's not that schools and fire departments are businesses but the broader principle of "the people who benefit are the ones who should pay for it" is continually discussed, OR the variation of that idea, since "I" don't benefit from it, "I" don't want my taxes raised to pay for it. It's a bad idea to entertain this "divide and conquer" approach to community needs.

Further, it is an incorrect idea that businesses aren't already paying "extra" into the tax pot. They pay property tax, either directly or through rent, and I think it is correct to say that business property is usually valued higher than personal property because of its ability to generate income. It's like it has a good business "view". Further, business is generating jobs and all the people it employs are paying property tax on their domiciles. Businesses also tend to contribute to charitable efforts and community support and sponsorships. When special town events happen, it is rare that they happen without any business financial support.

In addition, profitable businesses pay the business profits tax. That doesn't remain local but it is used to fund the state.

Extending the docks is comparable to widening or otherwise improving a road. It is a common use action supported by taxes paid by all. It is completely legitimate to reject the improvement or to approve it. As issues needing tax support become important enough or generate enough popular support, they usually get funded.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post: