View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
miketerrain

Smile moving to the area

Yeah I guess $12 per 1k is doable. Right now were paying 11k per year in property taxes on house that's worth much less then 400k. For what, I can't say except the cops are averaging 150k and teachers 100k per year. So union contracts can be a curse to a homeowner.
We visited Weirs Beach and the sea coast in July and there were plenty of tourist which didn't bother us at all. We still had plenty of elbow room. Working in the NYC I'm used to being around 10's of thousands of people concentrated in a small area at a time. Imagine being in Times Sq on New Years Eve with 1 million people waiting for the ball to drop. I've been doing it for over twenty years. Living on Long Island the rush hour traffic is extremly stressful too. People are always cutting you off and always in a rush. When we were in N.H. I noticed three things. People are very nice, driving is a pleasure and my stress was gone. It was so strange when we got to Connecticut I95 the stress meter went way up.
The only thing that I'll miss leaving the NY metro area besides family is Good Brooklyn Itailian bread. It's the best in the world!!
Were visiting the Lake Region area again in February to check things out further. I did notice that Moultonborough taxes are reasonable compaired to Gilford or Laconia. I think we may ditch buying or renting in the Wolfeboro area, I heard that Mitt Romney has a place there. If he becomes president and he decides to vacation there, it won't be fun to drive,walk or even boat in the area. Secret Service will make it a huge frozen zone. When Obama visits NYC for fundraising, it causes inconvenience to all.
Oh and as far as living out in the woods, I could do it without a problem. My wife is another story. She needs to see a porch lite close by. Perhaps it's all those scary movies that she used to watch.
miketerrain is offline   Reply With Quote