View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
miketerrain

Smile moving to the area

Wow thanks for all the information. The government tax web site seems full of useful information. I'll research the other areas that were mentioned as well. We do want to be near the lake, but not to close. Flooding is a major concern of mine.
I haven't considered Moultonborough, but I'll look into that. The Alton area looks to be very cheap proprerty tax, which is a good thing.
Moving into the area has me uncertain about a few things. Although I do look at maps, looking and driving to the places pose a huge difference. My daughter will probably attend the Community college in Laconia, so I guess I should consider the distance to that facility. Another concern would be emergencies, like hospital and fire department. It's wierd that now I'm near 50 years old I think about the distance to a hospital and only twenty years ago I coudn't have cared less!! My wife whom is probably smarter then me, thinks we should rent for a year and really look around at each town and soak it in. Even though we do visit once or twice per year. I of course believe in buying and take advantage of the cheap mortgage rates. Oh, one more thing. I noticed that some homes are built off a public road and sometimes private roads. I guess in the case of the private road, the homeowner has to take care of the plowing and maintenance?? I imagine this homeowner would be at the mercy of the snowplow contractor. Any thoughts???
miketerrain is offline   Reply With Quote