View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Invasive species sonar image

I thought I had posted this before but apparently not.

This side scan sonar shot in Paugus Bay shows a massive area packed with I believe, Milfoil. This stuff is so prolific it shows up in the water column (the black area down the middle of the image) as fine hairs.

It's tall enough up into the water column in the left channel image (at the arrow) to create a sonar shadow. Shadows are created when the sonar wave hits something and bounces back, not making it past whatever it hits, thus the shadow. So it's tall enough to generate shadows. If I had to guess I would estimate the height of the Milfoil here to be 6 feet high or more.

What amazed me was the dramatic cut-off where the invasive boundary line just stops.

I've encountered this diving in Paugus of course and you can't swim through it. You go over it or around it.

Point being, when conservation organizations etc. ask you to flush your bilge, wash down your boat & trailer, dry your anchor well out, clean invasives off the anchor and anchor line etc. they have really good reasons for doing so.

Invasives in general are a nightmare and it's only one of a number of invasives. Please help keep the lake as healthy as possible and do what you know needs to be done.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post: