View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #29
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
When you are going after public funds, you make sure the LAST thing that gets paid for is among the most essential. That way, when you exceed your budget, it is almost impossible for extra money to be refused. All the places where you might have cut costs have already been paid for.

Yes, it sounds cynical but I have seen it happen over and over.

Consider also that refinishing the hardwood stage had to be a KNOWN expense. Concrete had been poured on it. At a minimum, it would have to be spot repaired, sanded, and refinished. Only an idiot would have ignored the possible damage of the weight of the concrete on the support structure but that is the only work that is a "surprise".

Laconia is already committed to this project. Any extra cost WILL be funded. As to the success of the theater, that is a long way off and will involve a lot of factors including programming for the theater and the general "feel" of the downtown area being attractive to people who might come to see a show, including parking, safety, dining, ambiance, etc.

The deed (renovating the theater) is done. I wish them good luck.
exactly so and re enforces the point I made earlier. You will never see "we need a tax increase to pay for bloated public pensions" it's always "police and fire will be cut" Sadly, the public almost always fall for it.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post: