View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
Lakegeezer

With less boat traffic, perhaps the water will clean up a bit in the areas that have suffered over the past 20 years.

Gas prices, the economy and the need to carry less debt have to be part of the answer to "where are the boats". Demographics is perhaps another. Is this generation of new parents interested in lake activities? It seems that the ones with kids younger than their teens seem to be having the most fun on the water. Maybe this generation of new parents just aren't interested or are less financially able to - or maybe there is just fewer young parents, compared to the era of the boomers.

The fishing population also seems to be down, which could be due to poorer fishing and perhaps speed restrictions on the faster bass boats.

I don't know the answer but feel sorry for those trying to make a living on the tourist business in the region. The lack of incoming tourist money causes a pull back across the whole region and impacts us all. Fewer new businesses, and more calling it quits. One answer might be for businesses to focus more on those who have moved here to work or retire.

It also surprises me how poor the marketing for the region is. The image of the lake was tarnished a few years ago when money was spent to create an sense of fear, chaos and danger for the safety surveys that led to the speed limit rules, but nothing seems to be happening to recover the image.

However, I think back to the Winni forum of the 90's and mid 00's. Many compained about the crowded lake. Well, that problem is gone, so we might as well enjoy the quieter spots where they exist, for as long as they last.