Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #134
ApS

Default Problem-Boaters with Problem-Boats—II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
"...So, based on the study, approximately 539 boats were traveling at speeds over 50 mph last summer – just within just the study area..."
Nobody knows how many boats were speeding according to this excerpt:

Quote:
"The men logged more than 50 boats in an hour. The highest speed recorded was 34 mph, but the fastest watercraft - a Jet Ski with two people who cheered and whooped as they passed - could not yield a reading, because it was bouncing on the water too much, Marine Patrol Officer Stern said."
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
"...What is the big deal with a speed limit, it will be the same as any other speed limit we have for cars, planes, snowmobiles, etc.. There are going to be those that will choose to obey them and those that don't..."
This law restricts only behavior, so why the angst? There are worse fatal scenarios out there (like Long Lake's) which are making laws against horsepower.

and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
In Congress, July 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And the most important of these is Life!

Quote:
NH Rep. Dennis Abbott has stated, "There’s a lot of people trying to enjoy life in New Hampshire, and they should be able to do that without worrying about their personal safety."
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
"...Anyone with an ounce of integrity and actual experience on the lake would have to admit that speeding boats are just not a problem..."
Meredith News excerpt:
Quote:
"...But John Irwin of Irwin Marine Hillside in Alton, president of the New Hampshire Marine Trades Association, says that while he agrees that there are problems on New Hampshire lakes..."
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I can guarantee that if the study showed that there was a problem on the lake you would be swearing up and down that the study was right.
Cal has said the same thing—twice; but how could the study ever be right? This excerpt even promotes a skewed study:
Quote:
"The Department of Safety warned boaters to slow down on Lake Winnipesaukee this summer, when a pilot program would allow Marine Patrol officers to enforce speed limits on two busy sections of the lake."
and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
"...Take a kid on a high-speed ride and most will return with a happy smile on their face. The problem is that some people are willing to deny others of this right based on fear.
I fear all those who do not have training in high speed boat control. Check out this excerpt by an experienced boat tester:
Quote:
"A few years ago I had the misfortune to test the Baja Hammer on Windermere before the speed limit was enforced. That experience etched an indelible memory of a boat that was impossible to hold in a straight line and that bucked like a rodeo bull as soon as you reached the 60mph mark. Plagued by chine walk and spontaneous skips, she was one of the most evil handling boats I have ever driven."