View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #24
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
This thread discusses two businesses that weren't successful in this building. A gentleman would like to put a Dunkin' Donuts on that location. This business would employ people and put money into the community.

I personally don't patronize any Dunkin' Donuts anywhere; and I grieved for a family business that was on my street that is now a Dunkin' Donuts. However, I'm a realist. If Dunkin' Donuts can make money, give jobs to folks, donate to fundraisers, pay taxes to the town, etc. then God bless 'em.

I'm confused about the greed comments. These guys worked hard and became successful. How does that automatically translate as greed? The article is intended as a portrait of a corporation and the men who run it. From reading this article, it is impossible to know what their charitable contributions are.
Great post Mom. Where were all the people who were concerned about the welfare of the Hathaway House prior to Cafua buying it? Even since Cafua bought it, someone could have stepped up to save the old gem. The bottom line is that the damage was done decades ago when the City of Laconia allowed commercial properties to be built on Route 3. The Hathaway House is clearly a residence, not a restaurant, not a vintage clothing shop, not a hot tub sales establishment. It is ill-suited for a commercial business, and is now surrounded by commercial businesses. The sad reality is that there is no financial value in saving it, only sentimental value. And as a taxpayer, I don't want to make the investment, at least not this one.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote