View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #584
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Actually, a boat going 70 MPH passes 150 ft in 1.45 seconds. And the difference from the 45 MPH boat is 0.85 seconds. And therein lies the flaw in your logic.
FYI, I rounded both. The result is offsetting. It's 0.81 seconds of difference, you overbid. Hardly 'milliseconds' between the two, so again, your logic fails. Sorry these numbers don't support your cause. Great attempt on spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
This is the time it takes you or me to see a kid's head pop up 150 feet directly in front of the boat, recognize the need to change course, send a signal from our brain to our hands to brake or steer (oh ya, we don't have brakes)...to steer, and to start effecting that signal. At 70MPH, we are just starting to turn our wheel 0.05 seconds AFTER we hear the thump of the poor kid's head as it is shattered into thousands of pieces of skull and brain. At 45 MPH, we have 0.8 SECONDS to spare. So yes, the 0.8 seconds that you dismiss as being so trivial is actually the very difference between the kid's life and death.

One of those kayaks that you guys say are so impossible to see suddenly is visible in front of you. Or that poor kid is swimming out farther than he should be and pops up from underwater. 150 feet is not a sufficient safety zone for these high speeds.
In clear conditions, at any rate of speed, I can see a piece of wood floating in the lake at 1000ft and take evasive actions accordingly. If you cannot spot a kayak at 1000ft, you should probably schedule an eye exam (maybe we can make an eye test law!!!!!)

In clear conditions, at any rate of speed, if a child has decided to swim past the marked swim lines underwater 1.27 miles to the Broads or any other high traffic (notice I didn't say speed) area and suddenly 'pops' his head up to take a breath before continuing through the broads and finally Alton Bay, is just plain stupidity that cannot be stopped by any MP or feel good legislation. I would probably refer this case to DSS. But again, what if, what it, what if! The fear mongering never stops!