View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Twags

Default Getting A Few Facts Straight

Hi Folks,
I have no affiliation with NHEC. I’m just a guy in Sandwich working with other citizens to try to bring badly needed broadband to rural areas, but let me see if I can clear up a few things.

1) There will still be competition among broadband providers. NHEC will not have a monopoly. By contrast, cable companies in many towns do have a monopoly because they are the only game in town. With NHEC competing, one can expect to see broadband rates go down, not up.

2) Electric rates will likely go down, not up, with NHEC in the business for two reasons: a) NHEC will likely be able to turn a profit on broadband relatively quickly; b) they will have the essential elements of a “smart grid,” thereby enabling folks to sell surplus electricity that they generate through solar, etc back to the COOP, bringing cheaper electricity into the system more widely and easily than is currently possible.

I say these things with some confidence because there are currently more than 100 rural electric coops around the country who are doing exactly what NHEC has proposed. More info here: https://www.electric.coop/expanded-r...adband-access/

Please vote YES so that NH towns like Sandwich who currently have no reliable, affordable broadband can finally come into the 21st century.

Thanks!
Twags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twags For This Useful Post: