View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #131
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
My compliments on how you handled this. I couldn’t or wouldn’t have been able to do it when I was working. About 15 years ago one of the younger engineers in a firm I was working for came to me and said he wasn’t interested in doing one of my projects that was assigned to him because it “wasn’t exciting.” After I paused to take a deep breath I informed him that he was hired to do work that was assigned to him not to do just “exciting” and if this was a problem he always had other options. Unfortunately, I wasn’t his direct report.

I guess it was generational, but I always felt that as long as someone was paying me I tried to do what I was asked to do. When I found myself in a situation where I had profound issues I found a new employer whom I could work with/for.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. As most people in this Forum know, I am pretty much a Neanderthal; however, over the past several years I've had to adapt to the changing times. We are in desperate need of talent, and sometimes you need to at least empathize with opposing views. I guarantee that my reaction 15 years ago would have been much different.

Last edited by Major; 05-02-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote