View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #113
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Attribution bias is psycho-babble? Your response is almost 100% self-credit, completely disregarding your opportunities and the fact that the times, requirements, and finances have changed dramatically. By your rationale, getting out of poverty is just a matter of making good choices. Though there are numerous studies showing that's ridiculous, they're probably all liberal nonsense, right?

I'm not going to continue OT anymore but--and I'm serious about this--if you, or anyone else following, is interested in connecting for a legitimate discussion on these topics, I'd be up for a soda when next I'm up. Until then, enjoy MA and NH--two of the best states to live.
I will respectfully disagree with you about changing times. The studies you cite are probably written by academics who have not spent a lot of time working in the real world.

I have a similar background to Maxum and started with nothing. Right after high school I remember walking because there was no gas in my car and I needed to go somewhere. I worked in gas stations and decided I wanted more out of life.

I sold my first car to have enough money to go to tractor trailer school and get a better paying job. I drove over a million miles in Class A trucks, worked all the overtime that was available, and invested any extra money I had in real estate. Then I moved on and had success in other areas.

Without going into more detail I will only tell you that I am now very comfortable, own more than one waterfront property on Winnipesaukee, and have a Florida home for the winter. No one ever gave me 5 cents.

Anyone can do exactly what I (or Maxum) have done. The opportunities are the same and some are even better, It is the positive attitude and the knowledge that you are responsible for your own success that will drive many people to get ahead. Others will wait for success to show up at their door, and be surprised when it doesn't.

Then, when someone does become one of the 1%, those who do not have the drive to succeed will try to tax you into sharing the rewards of your success with them.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: