View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
It is my considered opinion that you cannot determine a person's true racial bias based on a single word in a private conversation regarding the relative merits of the President of the United States. Words carry different meanings and weights, depending on a person's background and the context of use...

My point is that rather than defining 82 years of life by the private use of a single word, let's look at his whole and current record...

I'm sorry, but the utterance of one word, without backup material, is a story worthy only of the laziest journalist or of someone with their own agenda. If this man is, indeed, a "racist", then let's see the rest of the evidence. It can't be that well hidden. Let's not waste our efforts creating "racists", instead let's identify the real ones --and, of course, Copeland may well turn out to be one-- by examining their deeds and actions. Then we can be well rid of them.
When Copeland was first heard speaking the word, he was in a public, not private, setting. He was speaking loudly enough that at least one person who was not part of his conversation overheard him. When Copeland was alerted to the fact that he was heard saying this word in a public place, in reference to the president of the United States, he doubled down and admitted that he had, in fact, said what he was being accused of saying. He went even further and refused to apologize, saying that he meant exactly what he said, and he did this in writing. How's that for deeds and actions?

So no, not private. No, not just one word that was perhaps heard out of context. That should be plenty of "evidence" for any reasonable person. Copeland is certainly entitled to his opinion, and the people of Wolfeboro are entitled to have elected officials who represent their values.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to P-3 Guy For This Useful Post: