View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
longislander

Quote:
... ( Fairpoint at the time) spent over 90 million dollars to expand fiber several years back.
Should have said fiber cable, not "fiber". I was involved with delivering of most of the fiber cable to the phone company garages at the time.

The term, "fiber", is apparently used in exchange for broadband speed. The phone company offerings, presently, are for DSL with the hubs with 2-3 mile access from the hubs with decreasing speed, the further from the box.

Won't get into what's happening with satellite broadband (not Direct TV, nor Hughes etc.) nor, Elon Musk, Google, Microsoft, others in that field, but will the NH COOP want to start launching satellites as well?

Sure, I'm being facetious, but as been already said ... " The COOP needs to focus on providing CHEAP power to its members ... "

I, also, built a new house a couple of years ago, still here in Moultonborough. I hadn't anticipated the NH COOP bill for $22/ft. for the copper wire; from the street pole to the house. The line runs fairly parallel to my driveway. My driveway is roughly 560 ft. long. Do the math. Didn't get any help with paying the bill.

Easement on my property, I and all future owners of this property will make payments, probably monthly, for electricity; lease payments for pole use by others ... and I had the privilege of paying, to put in the electric line. Wonder if the COOP will give me a rebate if the bylaw change goes through.

Most would agree that having electricity is more important than broadband. Try getting on the internet without access to electricity.

Who is going to pay for what!!?
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote