View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
ApS

Question #Slapping Sails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Believe it or not, sailboats getting too close to loons are devastating to them as well according to a biologist I spoke with a few years back. Apparently the sight and slapping of the sails absolutely terrifies them and puts them under extreme stress. I guess the lesson here is give them space no matter what boat your in! Dan
Last week, (our only three) Winter Harbor loons popped up in front of my sailboat. At 2 or 3-MPH, I wouldn't be as great a threat as other boats. Since this is a frequent occurrence, powerboats surely are worthy of mention.

This morning, a single loon popped up in front of my sailboat. He gave me a long dirty look, and dove out of sight.

Sailboats have a much deeper draft than most other boats, and therefore have limited proximity to nests, so let's go easy on the criticism. (Sails slapping?)

You'll notice the link's recommendation is to stay 150 feet away—still another reason to support (and observe) New Hampshire's 150 foot RSA waterway rule.

Additionally, last week's fireworks had our three loons calling out their "threat" vocalization.