View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #30
ApS

Default Perception is Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewinniboater
I really don't want to encite a riot here... but come one. Now you are grasping at straws for your cause. A month ago you were saying it was too crowded and posting aireal pictures showing congestion on the 4th or July. Now you are saying the lake isn't crowded.
Please show references. The aerials were posted by others.

I agree with propeller, mee&mac, Dave R, Coastal Laker, B R, Fun4us, and lakershaker that boat traffic is down. MJM, Lakegeezer, Great Idea, BroadHopper, FLboater, Bubba, and Islander have noticed too.

The Weirs is always busy, as is Naswa. (Tourism, attractions, mutual-admiration boaters, booze). I mean, where else can you go to a water slide next to a 72-square-mile lake? Traffic on the 20th was bog-slow, but there was a serious rear-ender west-bound near the Weirs. I was in that same traffic.

Once again, boat traffic is way down this week. Only one boat pulling a tube in my area -- per day -- and still no boats anchoring along this entire shore -- let alone in front of my place.

It could be the price of gasoline, but rentals are normally made between December and March, when gasoline wasn't an issue.

Duck itch doesn't seem likely, as posters here were surprised to see so many mentions of it. (And it's been in northern lakes for decades).

Bike Week occurs too early in the season to be a factor -- in cottage rentals, anyway.

Realty agents use the Internet for booking rentals too, and it is likely that most renters use realtors, just as folks sell/trade their cars through agents rather than advertise for themselves. I'd be surprised to hear any realtor admit that their rental season was bleak -- but they did.

Two rental cottages near me have been taken off the rental market, which should have increased inquiries to me and my neighbors. Five of my neighbors to the west of me have "for sale" signs on their docks.

I'm thinking it's a combination of Great Idea and MJM's ideas: The perception of a crowded lake and the perception of danger.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote