View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
While considering the question of right of way, how is this situation handled. You are coming on another boat head on in a constricted area, each is on the other's port side. There is no danger of collision, but you don't have 150 feet of separation. You move to the right as much as you can to add space but the other boat maintains course. They could also bear right and create the required separation, but don't. You've done your part, they haven't done theirs and they are not going to slow down. Do you pull back to idle or just maintain speed?

One point of view is that the other boat is the burdened craft, as it is the only one that can change course to create a 150 foot separation. Therefore, you should maintain course. The other point of view is neither boat has right of way over the other, so you should both slow down. In no way is there a collision danger, you are just trying to comply with the local laws of separation.

I ask this because I frequently find myself slowing down in these situations and yet the boat chooses to maintain course and not slow down.
Whatever is safer for your vessel and/or passengers. It's that simple, as the laws are designed for safety first.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote