View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #18
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You are never going to attract the "right people" without an investment and as with most city revitalization you need to start with the businesses and attractions first to make the city a destination before you can start to remove the section 8 types. That is the exact way it was done in areas in NY such as Harlem Upper Manhattan, and Bed Sty and other areas in Brooklyn that were much much worse than Laconia. May not be an exactly comparison but it gets the point across
Sinking money into the colonial is not how you attract in my opinion. Like Major said, I actually now live in the Seaport which as most will remember was waste land barely a decade ago. You know what is driving millennials and older folks with good salaries there or areas like Cambridge? Its not the run down colonial theater type places but the education institutes, the start ups and the good paying tech jobs. Those came first, now they are trying to build it into a neighborhood and adding fire stations, libraries etc. Create or invite good industry and there's actual incentive to move and establish a home there. I lived in the Lakes Region on the lake year round in my 20s when I was transferred to Laconia for work, constantly said to my self what am I doing here there is nothing here except old retired people, the lake and work? When searching for a new job there was barely any companies even worth looking at and that was very evident in how my employer treated their employees because guess what, they had nowhere else to go. Making somewhere a destination is exactly that, a place people visit and leave, not stay.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote