Thread: Just curious?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #34
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
You'd be shocked at all the unlighted "low-information boaters" out after dark.

The Broads doesn't have to be rough—the scofflaws prefer the calm waters of coves. Saturday, the usual weekend white Donzi blasted through Winter Harbor mid-morning at speeds approaching 100-MPH!

(Yeah, I know, "Donzis can't go that fast")

• When my family bought here in 1956, it wasn't about the boating so much as living on "Golden Pond". Now that we on Lake Winnipesaukee have learned that 6% of Loon mortality is due to boats—it was time.

(Not including human mortality rates here).

• Just Friday, a Loon surfaced next to me on the dock, and promptly dove "from the danger"—resurfacing only 20-feet further away.

• Loons can dive for two minutes or even much longer. Loons aren't checking for Donzis when they resurface for air—nor are Donzis checking for Loons...

ApS, I guess I missed the point you are trying to make. My point was I agree with night speed limits, what does a boat light have to do with that?

And only boats over 45mph are a danger to loons? And if a loon is underwater for two minutes as you say, how would a boater at any speed see them? I would hope that boaters of any speed would avoid a bird they could see. Last week I saw a few kids in a small boat tossing what looked like rocks at birds on the water, should we outlaw one of the following:
  • Kids?
  • Rocks?
  • Small Boats?

I hope you don't take this wrong, it was just that the post was on the speed limit and while speed limit items are kept in the corner as it offends people, your reply to my comment seemed to try to add in arguments that had nothing to do with speed itself.

Cheers!

Last edited by Webbsatwinni; 07-09-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: data breaks