Thread: Just curious?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #16
ApS

Exclamation ..."Low-Information Boaters" include Tykes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
I agree with limits in coves, narrow areas and at night for safety. In the broads it just doesn't fit, a lot of people I speak to avoid the broads for rough water not speeders.
You'd be shocked at all the unlighted "low-information boaters" out after dark.

Quote:
...We love the lake and bought here in 2007, it was all about the boating. To have a large area like the broads that you can't go over 45, well, never mind. Sadly, I didn't vote the lake as a top New England destination when that poll was out and I cannot believe I didn't, but for us, it isn't. But those who like the lake without traffic or noise prevailed.
The Broads doesn't have to be rough—the scofflaws prefer the calm waters of coves. Saturday, the usual weekend white Donzi blasted through Winter Harbor mid-morning at speeds approaching 100-MPH!

(Yeah, I know, "Donzis can't go that fast")

• When my family bought here in 1956, it wasn't about the boating so much as living on "Golden Pond". Now that we on Lake Winnipesaukee have learned that 6% of Loon mortality is due to boats—it was time.

(Not including human mortality rates here).

• Just Friday, a Loon surfaced next to me on the dock, and promptly dove "from the danger"—resurfacing only 20-feet further away.

• Loons can dive for two minutes or even much longer. Loons aren't checking for Donzis when they resurface for air—nor are Donzis checking for Loons...