View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #229
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
A couple of EL's points deserve emphasis. People from out of state sometimes comment to me when they hear of my Winni location about Winni's out of control reputation; it's something I've been trying to ignore for 2 decades now. I agree with EL on the safety issue too...and his links have shown speed is a problem needing to be addressed, both on Winni and elsewhere. I need to add that in addition to safety,there is the issue (as many have pointed out) of speed, noise, and the overall boating experience on the lake. We can't go back to the 1960's...there are just too many boats and the superfast boats on the lake in the 60's were few and far between. Tho only logical solution is a SL and so far it seems to be working. Most of the worst offenders call attention to themselves with major noise. Noise legislation hasn't worked, will not work (even with switchable exhaust) and the noise from these boats is just too loud for most people anyway.
We've heard from a few members about their sense from talking to others that no one (practically) supports the SL. As was mentioned earlier in one of the threads, this seems unusual given the number of people involved in the speed limit movement, people we talk to around the lake, the many organizations that supported Winnfabs and the SL as well as the many businesses that support the SL. I suppose those very vocal people on the forum who said they would never ever again support these businesses are frequenting those that were against limits and are therefore hearing the things they want and expect to hear. Clearly if I went to Murphy's Bar and asked people their opinions on alcohol in America the results would differ significantly from those I'd hear at an AA meeting.
I find it ironic too that the face of the NHRBA will be frequently on the front page in a couple of months when the Sl debate is coming more and more into the headlines as well.
Another good point is the attempted marginalization by the Sl opposition of smaller craft/kayaks/etc. and that some of these people are "stupid" if they would venture into the broads in such a craft. I know of many skilled kayakers who have sea kayaks and are capable of handling more than the broads can offer. To suggest that these craft need to "stay close to shore" is just a self serving example of the smoke and mirrors used by those who want no limits. As EL said a while back "wild horses don't like to be corralled".
I applaud the efforts of NH citizens to take back the lake for a more equitable use for all and also feel it is unlikely that the state legislature will cause a reversal of the gains achieved for the lake, and 45/25 is a good compromise.
While I vehemently disagree with your position and your conclusions this is as well stated a post I have ever seen coming from the Supporters side. Very UNLIKE a certain post before this one. No, unfortunately the other person has to resort to outright lies and inflammatory statements. He wonders why a large percentage of people have him on the ignore list. It's also no wonder why SL Supporters that have posted for years here have distanced themselves from him.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post: