View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #55
Skip

Default Sacred cows & objectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
...My primary focus is on this...Some seem pretty content to dismiss any valid suggestion that many of the stops, and actions, seem to border on harassment....

Let's make one thing clear.

I have no reason to suspect or doubt Winnipesaukee's credibility.

That said, we are not discussing a verbatim or unbiased account of what may have occurred during the night in question.

Instead we are discussing an unverifed account based on one person's perspective of a certain event. That person admits he was agitated about being stopped, and what went on during the stop. I can assure you that if we heard the NHMP officer's version, it would most likely be different because it would be based on his perception of the the events that transpired that evening.

Now, some posters have taken this perception and added additional attributes to what probably happened during and after the stop, and then formulated generalized comments on what the NHMP policies must be!

I have been in the business long enough to know that there is always three sides to these events....the perceptions of those being stopped, the perceptions of those who made the stop and somewhere in betwen the actual unbiased facts of what happened. That is why we have a legal system where a judge and/or a jury will make the ultimate decision on fact after hearing both sides of the story.

I must state I am perplexed by your constant assertions that many of the NHMP's stops and actions border on harrassment. Except for a handful of individuals that have related some events here, you have produced no evidence of your assertion of this alleged widespread problem both in this thread and others.

The NHMP effects hundreds of stops annually. They patrol dozens of bodies of water and along the coast on a daily basis, much of it under high scrutiny of the public. Dozens of individuals return to the agency on a seasonal yearly basis with the core being annually employed. Given these facts, I find it inherently strange that if indeed the NHMP is continually harassing the public, obtaining SS information illegally and in general completely incompetent, as constantly alleged here by a handful of posters, then why have I not read about it in any of the local or statewide papers? Why is their not umbrage and outrage in the editorial or letters to the editor sectionsd of the various daily and weekly papers I read that cover areas covered by the NHMP? Why has their not been any civil rights law suits filed and ajudicated againt this agency?

Closer to home, there are a great number of posters here that live and frequent the Lake all year long. Where are their observations of these constant misdeeds?

Listen, as in any organization there are people that should not be employed because they are not good at what they do. And they usually are weeded out accordingly. There are others who are very good at their job, but make an occasional mistake. And sometimes good people are asked to perform or enforce tasks that their bosses insist, tasks that may not make sense or are poorly planned or implemented. In this I think the NHMP is no different then any other law enforcement agency, or any other organization for that matter.

In the end I think that day in and day out they perform an amazing job given the limited funding and tools they receive from the State, with the enormous pressure that the State (especially the legislative body in Concrd) place upon it. I truly believe that the vast majority of it's employees are honest and hard working people that give their all to keep us safe. And when folks make unsubstantiated claims against those good men & women, or attribute RSAs or other laws incorrectly in an attempt to discredit the Agency, I for one will offer my opinion on the matter.

And if someone presents verifiable proof of misdeed or misconduct I will also feel free to offer my (hopefully) constructive criticism and advise folks of what their proper legal remedy or rights may be.

And for those of you that have made it through my diatribe here...thanks for your patience, whether you agree or not.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote