View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #52
Airwaves

Originally posted by NightWing
Quote:
Airwaves, your entire argument is based on the fact that you believe the officer was going to call the SS number in. You don't know that. Requesting the SS number during a motor vehicle stop on the street is also done under certain circumstances. You aren't screaming about police on the street, just on the water.
Yes, I am making the argument based entirely on the fact that what Winnipesaukee post was true. We have no other point of reference. On the street the officier that stops a vehicle calls in his/her position, plate number and reason for the stop. Then they have the license number, not the SSN.

Quote:
If you question any of the MP policies, in particular how that information is used and protected, call MPHQ. Until then, ranting about how someone else described their interaction with MP and what the informational rights of the public are is a waste of time. Some documents are not available to the public.

I won't reply to you anymore because you are trying to start a fight where there is none
Not responding is a typical response. (Quite frankly my posts where not aimed at you to begin with!)
The argument is whether MPOs that (according to you) apparently don't call in information when they stop a boat and whether they have the authority to demand, under threat of arrest, an SSN.

Apparently you also believe that public record is not actually available to the public because of policy?

Quote:
As far as your SS being at risk, I wouldn't worry. Nobody would want to steal your identity anyway.
I'm happy to hear that I can throw my SSN around in NH without concern that anyone will use it to steal my ID! Post yours here; _ _ _ - _ _ - _ _ _ _.

Quote:
Calling in the stop at night (in an area where the radio reaches) is a safety issue, so the dispatcher knows where the stop is made and the bow number of the boat.
In that case they will (should) transmit the information back to the officer that is conducting the stop, no?

Quote:
The original question arose about personal information being transmitted to obtain records on the operator. Those records are primarily motor vehicle related and not of great value on the water
.'
No longer true since under the new law that must not be mentioned, boating infractions are linked to your drivers license so the MPO needs to know if the person(s) is prohibitied from boating in NH, etc.

What you did not respond to is the issue that a report by an MPO or any other LEO is a public record and a dispatcher or even his/her supervisor saying no does not make it "classified".
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote