View Single Post
Old 07-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #9
John Mercier

I would guess it would be from what direction a storm comes from.
We experience lots of west to east, but a hurricane force storm is likely to come from the south, and the rotation would change the direction as the storm moves.

The importance is what they will warranty.
We moved from IKO Cambridge to IKO Dynasty/Premiums because of the noticeably large effect of wind damage in the area.

The water protection, even in GAF, may be several different products at different price points... and needs to be compared by the coverage.

I know IKO has StormShield, Armourgard, and GoldShield... I would guess that GAF has the same. Our Grace is $149 for a 2 square roll (200 sq ft), so Depot is definitely in the range. Since our Epilay Synthetic is $79 for 10 square (1000 sq ft)... it sounds like the GAF Synthetic is in the ballpark.
We have IKO Stormshield at $78 for 2 square (again 200 sq ft)... I would guess that GAF has a similar product.

If the GAF has a similar product as the StormShield it may be cost effective, especially considering your roof, to use that instead of the synthetic and get the extra protection.

Depending on how the roof connects, it may be the sidewall at the most risk.
A decent roofer can determine on-site what they would suggest.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote