View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 04:35 AM   #6
ApS

Red face A New Hampshire Florida Room Advice from Florida...

I can't answer as to "snow load", but 2x4 bracing was effective in protecting my single-car garage door from collapse during Hurricane Irma's category-4 winds.

A neighbor's similar garage door folded so completely, it appears like a metal box about 5'x5' in size. Hurricane Irma left it sitting in the middle of his garage. His garage also suffered a complete blow-out of the rear wall—traceable directly to his garage door failure.

In your Florida room case—given a presumed 8' width—I'd put 2x4' strengtheners horizontally against the ceiling every 7-feet (given a presumed 22-feet-long roof). Install them running counter to the structural (presumably aluminum) roof panels. Adjust these sizes and lengths if the roof's structure runs the opposite way.

Given a (presumed) 8' ceiling, use two 4x4x8' (upright) posts for each horizontal strengthener. If those vertical posts are too unwieldy to handle, use at least three 2x4x8's, or double-up on them with lag bolts, and use only two. Position the vertical uprights so there's observable pressure upwards against the ceiling.

Given a presumed slope, give the support bias to the downslope edge. (Which would be heavier with wet snow). After setting these up, label the pieces so they can be stored and reapplied in a convenient order next season.

For one person, the horizontal roof strengtheners can be more readily handled by putting one hook at each end of the 2x4x8's, and screw-eyes into the roof's underside. Allow room for each to swivel up 90° for the vertical support braces.

A (presumed) enclosed porch should benefit from a radiant heater directed upwards. While the airspace inside the room would be inadequate to make a temperature difference for comfort, the (presumed) aluminum roof panels might be able to conduct some of that heat to reduce the snow load.

PS: Although a modest 2x4 grid protected my garage door—and it is still upright, it was blown off its roller track completely. The garage's wooden door-frame was torn away. (But, at least, the door itself doesn't match my neighbor's).