Thread: No Wake
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #113
ApS

Arrow Cataracts Not Near Whitewater-Rapids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Exactly, And the worst argument for anything is because it's always been that way. I think we can come up with an unlimited list of things that have been improved.
Normally, I'd agree, but our 1909 Winnipesaukee chart shows NO MARKERS at all. The first "improvement" was to go to anchored 6"x6" tapered wooden markers, painted red and black. Ice moved them around, and some captains struck them at night—knocking the tops off to leave just a hint of a marker at the surface.

Such boaters prompted the next improvement, which was PVC markers in red and black. Today, they break only if struck "dead-on", or if "sleds" break them off, level with the ice.

Now, if only we could agree with the color of the next "improvement".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
My vision is perfectly good. Black markers have been a subject of complaint here for many years. I always boat at a speed suitable for the conditions- whether they be lighting or weather.
Yes...We are all "above average".

Y'know, cataracts of the eyes can strike at middle age. Excluding advanced age, the one aggravating activity?

Boating in the sunshine—where direct UV rays are compounded by being reflected off the water, to take the double toll of skin cancers and cataracts.

BTW: Most everybody who has had cataract-surgery comments, "Color has come back".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Wind driven waves have their place. Mostly, exposed areas have moved the waters edge up to the ledge or granite boulders over the last few hundred years. However, in a protected cove, or on a small lake, there is not a lot of natural wave action caused by wind. However, boats in these coves, with large wakes can cause some erosion or other damage to docks and boats if there is enough repeated activity of some magnitude. So the argument is very situational.
Exactly right!

I would add that ice has been shuffling the entire perimeter of the lake for ten thousand years—and perhaps more-so in the past hundred years. But it's the most recent three decades of "modern boating" has sent old-time residents to rescue their docked boats with breakwaters and hydraulic lifts. (Even for the oversized boats of our surprised newest residents, and there has been a remarkable turnover—no pun intended—of residents in Winter Harbor).

As for wave action, even the strongest of summer on-shore windstorms don't soak our dock. (Although our dock can get very hot, and a soaking is appreciated—wakes that throw gravel on the steps, not so much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
What, pray tell, is the RPM’s of your boat at “dead slow idle”? Anyone can turn an idle screw in or out...
True enough, and one can also select a propeller that allows speeds that conform to "no wake" speeds. But to have a ocean-racer to go a little bit faster, hire an attorney to argue the "no wake" law in court.

Last edited by ApS; 09-10-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Color, and Marker Re-Sized and add "tapered"...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote