View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #175
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
This is where our philosophies diverge. You think parts of the lake are not safe for children in a canoe. Therefore we should keep children in canoes away from those areas.

I think the answer is to do whatever is necessary to make the ENTIRE lake safe for children. My original idea has been a 300 horsepower limit. Other people favor a 45/25 speed limit.

You think that if the speed limit is unable to provide this safety then we should get rid of the speed limit. I believe we need to take increasingly drastic steps until the lake IS safe. If 300 HP doesn't work then we need a 200HP limit. If that doesn't work lets try a 100 HP limit. If 45/25 doesn't work we should try 25 mph day and night.

If we had a 100 HP 25 mph limit then the cowboy atmosphere would not exist. You know that, and I know that. I doubt that drastic a step in necessary, but I will support it if need be.
For real... So get ready to sell your boat BI. Where does the ludicrousness end? Are we all to drive 12 foot aluminum dinghy's with electric motors? At some point Parental responsibility trumps the whole argument. Or are you a subscriber to the "new" parenting style where everyone else is at fault but me? I give you the benefit of the doubt on this and say no. Seriously though would you send your kid out on a bicycle on I-93? No you wouldn't. Some roadways are not safe for bicycles, just like some parts of the lake. For you to say the "ENTIRE" lake should be safe for children is an extreme reach. Just like the "ENTIRE" world should be safe for children. If that were the case you need to put your 260HP Bowrider in the rack and kayak to and fro the Island. Let's keep this discussion real please. I agree with a bunch of your points and I think you do appreciate safety more than most SL supporters but I do think you have overreached on this point.