View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #157
VtSteve

Default We do know the problems

Now that BI has come back to engage in his rational voice.

The problems on waterways are well know to those that actually are out on the water, particularly weekends. There are other issues, of course. People should not be afraid to be on the water for fear of getting run over. The rules of the water used to be know by a majority of boaters. The last decade or more brought people into boating that may not have had any prior experience. We probably all forget this, as the water is second nature to some of us.

We have a group of people that thought a SL would be the proper solution to "fix" the problems. Many of us knew that wasn't the answer, but unfortunately, the debate focused only on the SL, and not on the problems.

BI laid out what I think is the single most important aspect of safety on the waterway. He's done that long ago. In doing so, it pinpoints the number one problem on the lake today. ENFORCEMENT. Yes, here I go again.
(To address our lurkers that are knashing their teeth now. Yes, ENFORCEMENT. Which does not mean crowding a boat traveling safely to get him to slow to headway speed. It doesn't mean harassment, not any of that. )

What it does mean is this. If I'm the head of the MP, I've either read about BI's complaints, or heard about them somewhere else. I've heard about some of my MP's doing things that I probably would prefer they don't do. So what's the solution?

Meeting time men, and women. Starting Friday night through Sunday afternoons, you will do the following. Unmarked boats will be around the summer camp areas, with camcorders rolling, and other MP's not that far off, but out of sight. Take notice of what's going on. If you see a boat traveling between canoes and other boats, or dangerously close to anything, STOP THEM. CITE THEM. Then repeat the process.

Guard the NWZ and the camps, and other boaters, like your job depends on it. IT DOES. If I see one of my men traveling at 3.0 mph through the Weirs channel, with dozens of boats floating sideways trying to stay behind, I'll have you picking up trash for the rest of the summer. Don't come back either. I want the BONEHEADS to know we mean business. Instruct them, don't harass them. If a boater is "somewhat" close to another boat, use some judgment. Is it in a narrower portion of the lake? Is he otherwise doing a good job, and not rampaging through the water? Use some common sense. Is he being arrogant? Beer cans?

Now men, we've all read BI's stories about the camps, and have heard directly from the camp directors themselves. I want the camp directors to be put at ease, and the children to be safe. I also want on my desk by the end of the month of August, every patrolman's personal experiences, as well as suggestions for any additional suggestions or rules they may feel would help out in the future.

You have your orders now, and I fully expect them to be followed.